Saturday, October 10, 2009

Who's Using Who?

I just watched Postman's Interview on Youtube and found it very enlightening. He mentions how cyberspace is a metaphorical idea which is suppose to be the idea where your consciousness is located where you're using computer technology on the internet. In this fast paced world where technology is moving faster than we can keep up, I think he makes a point of saying how cyberspace was for us to communicate with each other. No longer are we communicating via face-to-face contact. We now have the internet, cell-phones, and texting as the next generation of ways of communicating.

The internet has now provided people to talk to other people around the world from there homes. At first, this idea scared me because it feels like I'm inviting other people into my home and personal space. But, Postman says that you can be anyone you want on the internet. I think this is a true statement because you can edit, change or even embellish your vlog to your liking. I've tried making a few vlogs since taking English 414, but haven't posted any for fear of actually posting something that will be frozen in time. I think a lot of people feel this way for fear of exposing themselves to the unknown faces who may see them. I've had the opportunity to watch a few vlogs and have been impressed that the people are brave enough to post themselves. I wonder if I'll be brave enough to do that?

Postman also talks about the end of face-to-face contact with others. We no longer have that with the advancement of new ways of communicating. He thinks this could be the end of community life. I thought this was an interesting statement because I feel that people who vlog are people who are building a community. They have an audience, they get recognized, they build friendships and they also build bonds. But, I don't know if this is real. Personally, I like seeing my friends face-to-face. It's something with having that person physically there that is different than talking with them through texting or email. I don't get to see there reactions if we're talking face-to-face and they can't see mine, too. The one technology I started using was Skype. On this technology, you can talk and see the person's face. You can see their expressions, hear their voice (real time) and see them laughing. These are things that texting or emails can't do. I think it's important that we don't lose our "community" of friends and become a world where we never see each other.

He ends his interview with asking 3 questions:
1. What is the problem to which this technology is the solution?
2. Who’s problem is it actually?
3. Is there a legitimate problem that is solved by this technology, what problems will be created by using this technology?

For me, the last question was the most important. Our society is always finding ways to do things faster, quicker, and better. But, in doing so, it has caused a backlash of people going back to the basics. For example, the E-card is something that has become more popular in recent years. But, I like getting hand written cards especially from my mom or dad. They in turn like when I write them something in pen and not in an email. It might be "old school", but I think there is some merit in taking the time to write a letter or card, put a stamp on it and mail it to someone. It's too easy to just open your email and send out a "quick" note to someone. On the other side, I struggle with the same idea because writing a note would require a tree to be cut down which would be bad for the environment, the paper used would have to be recycled, and the pen used would have to be manufactured putting more toxic chemicals in the air for us to breath. It makes me wonder what other things in my life I've done to make my life faster, quicker and better for the sake of saving the planet but becoming more detached from the real world?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you here...people are creating a community but it is a different kind of community that Postman says will disappear. In a sense, this new virtual community is essential for some people to keep in touch with friends and family. Other people these days also also use this new technological community for purposes of their career. Although there is a lose a community, we create a new one and gain much more from it. I believe where people draw the line with technology is when it no longer can convey a sense of personal emotion to the person you are communicating with. I believe that it depends on the individual if they become consumed with technology or not. Everyone is in control of what aspects they let into their lives, including different forms of technology. For example, people who do not want to own a television might have a computer or vice versa. This is because different forms of technology have different purposes and people posses them each for a different value. The importance of an object to one person may not have any importance to another individual. So at the end of it all, as individuals, we are in control of filtering what we want into our lives and if we become detached from the real world it is our own fault from obsessing in one area of life too much.

    ReplyDelete