Sunday, October 4, 2009

Look At Me!

After watching the Vlog on Youtube, I was hit with the idea that people show the world how they want the world to look at them. Without knowing it, people have been actors in their own movie. They write their own script and then film themselves until they feel they've gotten it right.

I've done some commercial and print work and it always cracks me up that I've been cast as an architect, computer technician and even a doctor! I'm far from those occupations, but because I look a certain way, I can pass as those people. When I look at print ads or commercials on television, I look at them with more skepticism because 9 times out 10 those "real" people are actors.

I enjoyed that the Vlog discussed the idea of wearing a mask. I know that my school and work persona is different. I am able to change masks depending on the situation and not even know it. I think that the invention of Youtube was just an extension of what people were already feeling. It gives them the opportunity to voice what there feeling without the risk of getting feedback from a "receiver". The only feedback would be if there were comments posted. But, that is not as risky as being face to face with someone. In a way, this may help the person feel more connected with others without risking being embarrassed or laughed at. In addition, we are able to edit ourselves the way we want to be seen. But, is this real or are we just building something that is make-believe?


No comments:

Post a Comment