Sunday, September 13, 2009

In Search of Truth

Education isn't what some people declare it to be, namely, putting

knowledge into souls that lack it, like putting sight into blind eyes.. . .

Education takes for granted that sight is there but that it isn't turned the

right way or where it ought to look, and it tries to redirect it appropriately.


I love this statement from Plato's Cave. I just read John Patridge's essay "Plato's Cave and the Matrix". He compares the 2 stories about life and the need to seek out knowledge.


He begins by saying we must have a "healthy" soul to receive and absorb knowledge. But, he states that in our quest, we our sometimes deceived by ourselves. We sometimes see things the way we want to see them. In many cases, we aren't really "healthy" by any means. But, I think there is a constant battle to question what is truth and what is not. In the Matrix, Neo was faced with that same fact. What world he knew wasn't "real". In this case, I would say his mind wasn't "healthy". I know in my life, I have been faced with "truths" I later found we're "not-truths" at all. I know in my life as a yoga teacher, I am constantly seeking what is true and what isn't. Yoga is about being present in the moment. I always have to stop and ask myself what I really "see". He also states that we are prisoners in our own mind. We create this world in our heads only to know the truth when it is materialized in front of us. Only then can we believe that something is a fact. Otherwise, we can make things up that we want to believe are truths for us. He compares the sun to knowledge. The knowledge outside the cave. I like he compared this because it hints at the idea that we have to get out of our "cave" to see what's out there in the world. For most of us, it's knowledge we seek. But, with this knowledge, we can either use it, be scared of it, or ignore it.


The next thing he writes about is the 2 worlds of the Matrix and the Cave's interior. He says that there are some similarities but, the one thing that stands out in both is your physical body. I thought this was an interesting focus because he mentions how in our attempt to seek knowledge, it's only until we master what's in our mind do we master it in our body. Plato and the Matrix play back and forth with the idea of what is real and what isn't. It's only when we attain self-knowledge that we understand not only ourselves better, but the world around us. It is the truths that are already in us that we need to tap into to realize what is true for us! I know as a Spinning Instructor, I've had to train my body very hard. It wasn't until I repeated a drill many times that I finally got it in my head. It was only then that I could say that I've mastered something.


The last thing he writes about is the idea of something being "out of place". We know and sense that something isn't right in our lives. Both Neo and the Cave dwellers have this innate need to seek out something. Something out there that will make things right. They have an idea what it is. But, it isn't in front of their face and there is some apprehension to get it. In a way, the Cave dwellers are imprisoned. Neo was imprisoned and got out! But, I wonder if what he's trying to say is that we are all trying to get out of our heads? If we free our minds, can we be free? Both yoga and Spinning our things that I have found have freed my mind so that my mind can be free to see the world more clearly. For me, it isn't that things are out of place. It's something more that I strive to be a better teacher for my classes. Through the years, I know when something is "out of place" and can quickly correct it.




No comments:

Post a Comment